> The problem is, as Keith suspected, that rdiff-backup (or its GUI,
> pybackpack), helpfully creates folders if it doesn't see them. Worse,
> if the folder already exists it assumes I wouldn't want to overwrite
> it, and creates a copy of the folder someplace else.
>
> Furthermore, if I run rdiff-backup (via the GUI) as jjj it throws up
> massive error messages about files it doesn't have permission to copy.
> This is when I use it for a full system backup. If I just back up ~/ I
> get only one error message - the .gvfs file. Apparently it takes god
> powers to do anything with .gvfs, because even root can't touch it. I
> haven't figure that one out yet.
>
> I don't want to get into how I do my backups because that argument has
> already been discussed at length here in the past. Suffice it to say
> that some people disagree with me, and we probably always will
> disagree. Linux is big enough for us all to be happy.
>
> However, at this point I am considering tossing rdiff-backup in the
> bin. Not only does it seem to create folders when and where it should
> not, but somehow when it filled my disk it nuked my Nautilus bookmarks
> file, and reset half of my Gnome settings. Moreover, the system is
> unusable when it is running because it takes every ounce of CPU power.
> I could live with the latter problem, but the bugs are just
> unacceptable.

gvfs is a fuse (user land file server) based thing, so it is kind of like
talking nfs to a local process.  that process can deny anyone it feels
like, root has no special powers.

the settings being eaten is a side effect of the full disk, not rdiff
itself.  most likely nautilus has some auto-save timer going off and
doesn't check result codes well enough, so it thinks it has written a new
copy of bookmarks, etc (but really failed from lack of disk), then renames
it to be the real copy.  boom, no more settings.