On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 2:22 PM, John Jason Jordan<joh...@comcast.net> wrote:

> I had exactly the same problem with a Compaq R3240. Except I could
> never get the connection to stay fixed permanently. I got a new disk
> and it had the same problems. I shimmed the disk into its bay to make
> sure the connection was tight, but to no avail. It would appear to work
> OK for maybe a month or so, and then I'd get corruption. I became good
> friends with fsck. Eventually I gave up and bought a new computer.

Hmmm, after looking up that computer, it looks like it's roughly the
same thing as this HP. And since they're the same company I wonder if
I'll have the same problem with the same outcome you did... Oh well,
I'll just hope for the best and deal with it as it comes.

I will go so far as to attempt resoldering of the connector onto the
motherboard. Since everything else works so well.

Thanks for the warning!
Erik