On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 13:14, John Jason Jordan<joh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> my problem. Google cannot tell me what "X" actually consists of. It's
> probably more than one package, but which ones?

In Synaptic I found a large number of files matching a search for
xorg, including a metapackage simply titled Xorg.  I would suspect
that removing everything xorg and accepting the dependent removals,
noting then beforehand, would get rid of X.

But because there are a bunch of packages, perhaps there is one or
another that is related to either bluetooth or mouse management that
may be the root source.

> Also, what will happen
> if I uninstall X from the GUI? Like, Synaptic sort of needs a GUI, so
> I'm not sure the reinstall will work properly.

Aptitude is the CLI equivalent.

> That means I need a paper list of packages. Or maybe
> it's Gnome, not X. I don't actually know where X ends and Gnome starts.

Section Gnome shows all those packages.  Again, it might be possible
to narrow down the root to a bluetooth or mouse package.

> Oh, and "reinstall Jaunty" is
> not a good option. It would take days

Backups and clones would have helped, but they need to be done after a
fresh install with all your tweaks.

Larry