> On Mon, 12 Oct 2009, Pete Lancashire wrote:
>
>> Maybe, but in a recent discussion in a (near) real time list and from
>> Linus's own recent rant the kernel is getting bloated.
>
> Pete,
>
>    In my naivete I assumed the idea was for the linux kernel to be small
> and
> additional resources added as needed as modules. I thought that for a
> single-purpose computer the requisite modules could be compiled into the
> kernel for speed, but doing so is a user option rather than a default for
> everyone.

One issue is rather then add modules if they are needed, just assume they
will be needed. Similar with the 'default' packages many of the
distributions include. For example why are Bluetooth packages 'default' ?

I think they are scared that a non techie user will say the feature is
not available rather then taking the time to download etc.

But I think it goes beyond modules, look at some of the things being moved
into K space, yes it is faster to process but .. back to bloat.

I don't know the solution.

>> Another place I am aware of is doing HFT, High Frequency Trading. These
>> are the guys that are trying to shave not milliseconds but microseconds
>> off. They make the stock exchange guys look like they are using
>> calculators. They only have 60 employees, 12 with PhDs and have a full
>> time kernel hacker. They never even considered $Soft, they still do work
>> with a couple of 12 proc 4 core Suns. Alas they are not in PDX.
>
>    From what I've read one of the major reasons for the collapse of the
> financial systems are these finance and math PhDs who create derivatives
> and
> mathematical models that are not only too obtuse for anyone to understand
> (including the authors), but have serious unintended consequences.

I totally agree with one addition. Lets call it 1st generation or generation
n, but there were those even in the early days the understood things a
first year engineer should know, feedback. I say should because last year
I had to explain how to make a PID loop stable to a EE.

The one company I'm familiar with is now playing with generation n+2 or 3
or whatever. Part of their staff is there to prove the other wrong. An
interesting approach. On the personal side I think the whole thing is
wrong but then I think 90% of the people doing trading should not be.
Too much OT for PLUG.

On the flip side they are doing some pretty heavy stuff and have decided
to use Linux and I hope some of their work will make it back into the
public.

-pete