On Sun, 25 Oct 2009 14:45:23 -0700
Michael Moore <moore.michae...@gmail.com> dijo:

> > I am a bit concerned about what Rogan said about Debian. I do want
> > something reasonably up to date on the tech curve, but the name
> > "testing" is a turn-off. But then, it is just going to be a one-week
> > experiment.
>
> The testing branch of Debian is, generally, more stable -- and
> sometimes, more up-to-date -- than the latest Ubuntu release.
> (Remember that Ubuntu takes Debian's *unstable* branch, freezes it,
> tweaks it, and releases it.)  New or updated packages enter Debian's
> experimental or unstable branch, stay there for at least 10 days, then
> migrate to the testing branch if and only if they aren't causing any
> problems in unstable.  Sometimes it might be longer than 10 days,
> depending upon the size or complexity of the package(s).  If a problem
> arises, a package doesn't migrate to testing.  At any given time,
> there are lots and lots of packages in testing and unstable that are
> at the same version number; there are lots of others with newer
> versions in unstable than in testing.
>
> At some point in the process, the Debian powers-that-be decide to get
> ready for a release, so they freeze the testing branch and begin
> fixing release-critical bugs and any other bugs they can.  This
> process can be aggravatingly slow.  During this time, very few
> packages migrate from unstable to testing.  Eventually, testing is
> transformed from "testing" to "stable" and released.  Whatever was
> "stable" becomes "old-stable."  At the same time, a new testing branch
> is created and named, and the whole process starts anew.  The most
> volatile period of the testing branch is right after a new release,
> because a slew of packages (all those packages that had been held back
> during the freeze) suddenly land in the "new" testing from unstable,
> and that almost always causes some problems for various users,
> depending upon what packages they're using.  Other than that, the
> testing branch is usually pretty reliable.  There might be minor
> glitches from time to time with certain packages (or the interactions
> between certain packages), but nothing worse than users of Ubuntu or
> other Debian-based distros encounter.  IIRC, it has been more than
> three or four years since a major bug got into the testing branch that
> rendered it crippled for most users.

Thanks very much for the clarification about Debian versions. I read
all of the Debian pages, but couldn't get my head around the
differences. Your explanation makes it much clearer.

After considering it all, testing is what I want.

I note there is a net install. I don't completely trust my net
connection. It's fast, but sometimes Comcast throws me a curve. I'd
much rather download an ISO via torrent, even if it's several CDs or
DVDs. I'm in no rush. But I can't find the 64-bit ISO to download. For
some reason I find Debian's web pages very confusing to navigate. I
guess that's not a good omen, huh?