On Mon, 26 Oct 2009 19:30:18 -0700
Derek Loree <d...@drloree.com> dijo:

> On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 18:06 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > I note there is a net install. I don't completely trust my net
> > connection. It's fast, but sometimes Comcast throws me a curve. I'd
> > much rather download an ISO via torrent, even if it's several CDs or
> > DVDs. I'm in no rush. But I can't find the 64-bit ISO to download. For
> > some reason I find Debian's web pages very confusing to navigate. I
> > guess that's not a good omen, huh?
>
> I use the net install, because the packages that you install off of the
> CD will probably need an update, which means that you will need to
> download the current packages anyway.  So, why not just download the
> current packages as part of the install process?  The net install can
> still give you a functional computer without a network connection, you
> just don't get the GUI.  Or most of your usual commands, but it is
> functional.

Does this mean that Debian testing will not have an Update Manager that
will look for new packages? Will I be stuck with whatever is on the
CD/DVD unless I completely reinstall?

Must I use a net install in order to get the latest version of testing?
If I download the DVDs of testing today, will they not include the
latest updates?

> If Comcast knows your MAC address (the hardware address of your network
> card), you should be good to go.  If not, unplug your Comacast device
> for 5 minutes, then plug it back in and then start your install.

And what happens to the net install if the connection is interrupted
for 15-20 minutes while I call Comcast, reset the modem, etc.?