I do a fair amount of political voter precinct analysis, and a way of
easily mapping the results would be very helpful. So I was interested
in a piece in the Boise Weekly (the Idaho alternative paper) wherein
one of the reporters, Nathaniel Hoffman, tried to develop an approach
for doing that, using mostly (though not entirely) open source
options, including OpenOffice Calc and Qgis (I believe it's open
source).

The process he used was pretty involved and time-consuming, though,
and used a bunch of conversions - it's certainly not simple. He
writes about it at http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/mapping-city-
council-races/Content?oid=1297504

Question - might there be some better way to automate this? If there
is, a lot of people in the political world would be extremely
interested.

Randy Stapilus
www.ridenbaugh.com
Northwest politics and public affairs