On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 08:56:03PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 20:34:04 -0800
> Michael Rasmussen <mich...@jamhome.us> dijo:
>
> >On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 06:04:45PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> >> A more interesting question is why a few of the files on the Jaunty disk
> >> are
> >> -rw-------, while most are -rw-r--r---. All the files in ~/ on the Jaunty
> >> disk were placed there by me, not operating as root.
> >
> >Read
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umask
> >to begin figuring this out.
>
> I read the page. What does it have to do with the current situation?
>
> Bear in mind that all three of the files that I cited as examples were
> downloaded by me to my ~/Desktop/ folder from the same website using Firefox.
> fail to see what umask has to do with the fact that the permissions are
> different for two of the three.

The umask in effect at the time of the file creation or download would affect
the permissions.
That's why I pointed you to the page - so you would know there is something
called a umask.
See /etc/login.defs (or /etc/default/login.defs) to find out what your system
sets.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be appropriate && Follow your curiosity