On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Carlos Konstanski <
ckonstan...@pippiandcarlos.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Dec 2009, Mark Phillips wrote:
>
> > Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2009 21:09:08 -0700
> > From: Mark Phillips <m...@phillipsmarketing.biz>
> > To: Phoenix Linux Users <plug-disc...@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us>,
> >     Portland Linux Users Group <plug@lists.pdxlinux.org>
> > Subject: [PLUG] A Question About Locales/Languages
> >
> > One of my daughter's has a Mac and it has a neat feature that allows her
> > switch languages for her keyboard so she can type in Spanish in
> openoffice.
> > When she switches to Spanish, a nice keyboard map appears on the screen
> so
> > she can see where the special characters are located (i.e. the n-tilde is
> > right next to the L key). This does not switch all the menus etc to
> Spanish.
> > It just switches the keyboard to a Spanish keyboard. The display of the
> > Spanish keyboard on the screen is really important.
> >
> > Is there a way to configure Debian so there is a little country flag in
> the
> > tool bar so I can switch my keyboard from English to German and get a
> small
> > keyboard map for the German keys?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Mark
>
> Haw! Actually yes, if you use KDE. I'm sure GNOME has a locale
> switcher too. Even XFCE4 might have something like that. It's been a
> long time since I used anything so user-friendly though, so...
>
> If you want to switch locales and keymaps the old-fashioned way (not
> tested on debian):
>
> 1. Make sure glibc has support for the locales you need. Type "locale -a"
>    to check. If not, add the locale to /etc/locale.gen (or debian
>    equivalent), and then run locale-gen.
>
> 2. Once you see your desired locale in the output to "locale -a", set
>    the following environment variables (this example is for German):
>
>    LANG=german
>    LC_CTYPE=de_DE.utf8
>    LC_MESSAGES=de_DE.utf8
>    LC_PAPER=de_DE.utf8
>    GDM_LANG=de_DE.utf8
>
>    I always use utf8 locales. You could use iso-8859-1 if you wish,
>    but I don't recommend it.
>
> 3. Tell Xorg about your desired keymap. If you're using xorg-1.6 or
>    higher, you'll need to set the keymap in your HAL policy file. My
>    /etc/hal/fdi/policy/10-X11-input.fdi looks like the following:
>
>    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>    <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>        <device>
>            <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keyboard">
>                <merge key="input.x11_driver" type="string">evdev</merge>
>                <merge key="input.auto.repeat" type="string">500 30</merge>
>                <merge key="input.xkb.rules" type="string">xorg</merge>
>                <merge key="input.xkb.model" type="string">pc102</merge>
>                <merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">de</merge>
>                <merge key="input.xkb.variant"
> type="string">nodeadkeys</merge>
>                <!--<merge key="input.xkb.options"
> type="string">grp:alt_shift_toggle,grp_led:scroll</merge>-->
> [...]

I forget to say I use gnome. There must be a better way than fooling with
with the console to set this up?

Actually, I found the solution for gnome by looking through the menus,
except it does not paint a nice keyboard layout on the screen. Add the
keyboard-indicator to the gnome panel and then edit the keyboard preferences
to add a German/Spanish keyboard layout. No cute flags, just letters (USA,
DEU, etc) and no keyboard layout on screen. But close.

Thanks!

Mark