Russell Senior wrote:
> I'll just mention my recent Just-Works anecdote regarding printing.  I
> have set up an Ubuntu install for my computer-averse 70 yo mother.
> Mostly it's been sitting unused.  She lives across town.  She needs a
> document printed.  I haven't set up printing on the thing.  Printer
> has been sitting unused, unpowered for 6 months, minimum.  I plug it
> in to the USB port and power, start up Open Office, load the document,
> click the print icon, pause ... whir-whir, printed document comes
> out.  No muss, no fuss.  I was kind of impressed.
I'll be honest, I would never have expected it to just work that
painlessly. I was just researching if I could connect my Nokia phone to
my Linux box to get photos/files off of it. Of course there's no Nokia
suite for Linux. But a few people said Linux just sees it as a mass
storage device and you interact it with link any other. Although, I'm a
bit skeptical about the getting it connected via Bluetooth.

I think there's still this notion that if you want to use Linux as your
daily computer you'll waste your life away tinkering w. it to get it to
work w. common peripherals.

Which is ironic, because Linux supports a wide variety and large number
of devices. So, I think there's an intersection between the distro &
hardware that you're using that sometimes can end up in a fatal head-on
collision. And this is what sticks in our minds, the horror stories, not
the success stories, and makes skeptics and cynics out of the best of us.