On Wed, 19 May 2010 12:46:43 -0700
Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>All of the phone copper in Portland (proper) pretty much is owned by
>Qwest.  They are required to lease that copper to competitors in
>various ways, so you have options for ISP (the people who take your
>bits, and pass them to the rest of the intarweb and back again).
>There is an exception: the newer faster DSL that they advertise is
>from fiber-to-the-node fed DSLAMs (that is, they run fiber to your
>neighborhood, the put the DSL gear in a small closet on the curb and
>the rest of the way to your house is over the old twisted pair copper)
>and they are not required to allow other ISPs access to that service.
>If you get one of the distributed DSLAMs in your neighborhood, you
>suddenly don't have a bunch of options you had before.
>
>The bytes-per-second number that your application gives you typically
>is going to be "payload" information.  That is, not the raw bitrate,
>but the amount of information that you care about being delivered, not
>including the packaging information that helps get it there.  Because
>there is some overhead in packet headers, mentally I usually multiply
>by 10 to get the equivalent bit-rate.  You are getting something like
>20-30 megabits per second from Comcast.  If you were extremely lucky,
>you might be able to get a bonded service (two DSL pairs) from Integra
>for in the neighborhood of $100/month.  The speed would depend on you
>being close enough to the DSLAM in a Qwest central office, but my
>understanding is that the bonded service tops out at about 20Mbps.
>Your CO is probably the one up near Denver and Lombard.  I wouldn't
>count on it.

Thanks for the education. And I'd be surprised if my CO is not the one
near Lombard and Denver, because I know of no other telephone company
buildings anywhere else in the area.

I also checked Verizon, and they told me they don't serve my area.
Qwest offered me a maximum of 5 mb/s, not even their max speed.

>If all you care about is cost and speed, you aren't going to beat
>Comcast in the near term.

As it turns out, I may have been premature in claiming that my Comcast
bandwidth was decreasing from 3 MB/s six months ago to around 2 MB/s
today. I use Speedtest.net for monitoring bandwidth, and I just
discovered that the problem may be with the Portland server that they
are using, rather than Comcast. Using the Portland server I get about
2.0 MB/s (formerly about 3.0 MB/s). Using the Corvallis server gets me
3.1 MB/s (although the ping response jumped from 32 ms to 124 ms).
Using the server in Seattle I get about 3.6 MB/s. So maybe Comcast is
screwing me only on the bill.

>FWIW, I care about more than cost and speed.

So do I, but considering that (apparently) I can't get close to what
Comcast offers by any alternative, I'll have to suck it up and continue
with Comcast.

>I want a publicly-owned fiber last mile, where I get cost, speed *AND*
>freedom.

I'm totally with you on that. I think everyone in PLUG-land agrees.