Okay, solved the network startup issue by explicitly indicating a
gateway for each network interface in the ifcfg-ethn files instead
of one gateway in /etc/sysconfig/network.

One odd problem left, on boot I get a cannot find usb 2-1 messages
even though nothing is plugged in to the usb ports.  During the
upgrade I had a dvd burner plugged into the usb, but I have since
taken it off.

Another area of trouble is getting the spamcannibal local web site to
work.  Every time I try http://xerxes.robinson-west.com/tarpit/ I get
a 403 forbidden message.  Nothing in the logs beyond that, so I am
having a heck of a time troubleshooting it.