It turns out that APC wants $180 for a replacement battery for my
SUA1500 UPS. I might be able to get it cheaper elsewhere, but I can get
a brand new unit for about the same price:

CyberPower (nicer features) for $165 with free shipping from Amazon
(CP1500AVRLCD):

http://tinyurl.com/4sk6xd9

APC no longer sells the SUA1500, but they have a new one of the same
performance for $185 from Amazon, including shipping (BX1500G):

http://tinyurl.com/4c9aod8

And TrippLite has a similar model (Smart 1500LCD) for $177 with free
shipping from Amazon:

http://www.tripplite.com/en/products/model.cfm?txtModelID=3151

The CyberPower comes with a Linux command line utility. The others have
only Windows utilities. However, as Keith mentioned, there are open
source utilities that may work with any or all of the above, and
perhaps better than the proprietary software.

All come with a three year warranty. Thinking ahead to battery
replacement in three years, a replacement battery for the TrippLite is
$150, for the CyberPower $198, and for the APC only $60.

Does anyone have any experience with the above? Does the Linux software
work with them? Any other suggestions? And assuming I get a new one,
does anyone want my old one?