I am trying to open a new window on my desktop using the
"gnome-terminal" command line, but have noticed a peculiarity which I
would like to find a fix for.

When the command first comes up, it switches the active focus to that
new window on the desktop which is traditional behavior.  The mouse
and keyboard follow suite and are echoed in the new window.  A person
can jump out by mouse clicking outside the new window.

However if I am running on a different desktop and have a background
program which issues the "gnome-terminal" command in a different
desktop area, gnome-terminal brings up the active window in my desktop
area, not the one of the issuing program running the script file.

This is quite annoying, as it grabs the mouse and keyboard entries,
right in the middle of my work and leads to problems.

How can I force gnome-terminal to not jump over desktops but stay
rooted in the desktop of the shell script file that issued the
command?

The script files issues multiple gnome-terminal commands, since a work
file is being processed, so I don't need this constant popping up and
grabbing the focus behavior.  I want gnome-terminal to stay in the
original desktop where the script file resides and let me work in
peace.

Any ideas?

p.s. I am surprised that the command doesn't have an option to control
this behavior.