Assuming you're using metacity since this is in reference to gnome-terminal...

On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:33, website reader <website.read...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When the command first comes up, it switches the active focus to that
> new window on the desktop which is traditional behavior.  The mouse
> and keyboard follow suite and are echoed in the new window.  A person
> can jump out by mouse clicking outside the new window.

While not a perfect solution, you can prevent any window opened from a
terminal from receiving focus by default.  You can get this behavior
by changing a registry key in the GConf configuration
$> gconftool-2 --set /apps/metacity/general/focus_new_windows --type
string strict

About the focus_new_windows property from the documentation:
"This option provides additional control over how newly created
windows get focus. It has two possible values; "smart" applies the
user's normal focus mode, and "strict" results in windows started from
a terminal not being given focus."

There is a second key, /apps/metacity/general/no_focus_windows, where
you can modify focus based on the name or class of a window:
"This option provides a way to specify new windows that shouldn't get
focus. Normally an application specifies whether or not it gets focus
by setting the _NET_WM_USER_TIME property, but legacy applications may
not set this, which can cause unwanted focus stealing. The contents of
this property is a space-separated list of expressions to match
against windows. If any of the expressions match a window then the
window will not get focus. The syntax of expressions is: (eq
[name|class] "<value>"): window name (title) or the class from
WM_CLASS matches <value> exactly. (glob [name|class] "<glob>"): window
name (title) or the class from WM_CLASS matches the shell-style glob
Boolean combinations of expressions."

If you set the name or class of the terminal window with --class= or
--name=, you should be able to control its focus.

> However if I am running on a different desktop and have a background
> program which issues the "gnome-terminal" command in a different
> desktop area, gnome-terminal brings up the active window in my desktop
> area, not the one of the issuing program running the script file.

There's a tool called Devil's Pie
(https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie) that allows you to
control window behavior based on a configuration file.  Among other
things, you can make it so that when a window matching a certain
description is created that it automatically gets opened on a specific
desktop.  Definitely worth checking out.  Additional documentation on
it's config format:
http://foosel.org/linux/devilspie

Cheers,

Daniel Hedlund