On Tue, 31 May 2011 21:20:18 -0700
Tim Wescott <t...@wescottdesign.com> dijo:

>On 05/26/2011 04:53 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
>> On Thu, 26 May 2011 16:41:47 -0700
>> Mark Phillips<m...@phillipsmarketing.biz>  dijo:
>>
>>> I have found Scribus to be the best. It is not a pdf editor per se,
>>> but if you want to add information to a pdf file, you bring the pdf
>>> in as an image then insert text fields in the places you want to add
>>> text. Can also add graphics, or make drawings, etc. Then export as a
>>> pdf and it is all there in one pdf. Works well for filling out
>>> forms, signing pdfs, etc. I never could get pdfedit to work for me,
>>> and gimp is harder to deal with than Scribus. It is in the Debian
>>> repository, so I assume it is in others.

>> Scribus is what I used to use until I found xournal. You open the
>> PDF in xournal, then you can add text, lines, objects and shading,
>> among a few other things. You can save it as an xournal file, or as
>> a new PDF. And xournal pays little attention to restrictions in the
>> original PDF file. It's just a simple little light applet that works
>> perfectly for filling out PDF forms, whether the PDF was created to
>> be editable or not.

>You add objects as in graphics?  I can't see how to do this.  (xournal
>0.4.5, on Ubuntu 8.04).

No, xournal cannot add graphics. You can make your own "graphics" with
xournal - shapes, lines, etc. But you cannot import graphics from
outside. Xournal is mostly designed for markup. If you have a form to
fill out that the creator stupidly did not make as an editable PDF
xournal lets you enter text boxes over the blanks. You can also
highlight and a few other things. But it can only add its own native
objects.

If I need to add a graphic on top of a PDF I use Scribus. There may be
other, simpler tools that will do so, but since I know Scribus it's
simpler for the rare times I need to add a graphic to a PDF.

And note that neither xournal nor Scribus can actually edit the PDF.
All they can do is open the PDF and let you place things on top of the
PDF, then resave as a new PDF.