I have found Scribus to be the best. It is not a pdf editor per se, but if
you want to add information to a pdf file, you bring the pdf in as an image
then insert text fields in the places you want to add text. Can also add
graphics, or make drawings, etc. Then export as a pdf and it is all there in
one pdf. Works well for filling out forms, signing pdfs, etc. I never could
get pdfedit to work for me, and gimp is harder to deal with than Scribus. It
is in the Debian repository, so I assume it is in others.

Mark