Thanks Aaron, & everyone else, for the info.  I do make calls to Canada on a
regular basis.  Also, I spend a lot of time on an old-style corded phone
with domestic calls from home (way too much time for daytime cell phone
minutes).  So, if I could make these cisco ATAs work with a free service
like Skype (not SIP), or something like Ekiga (which is SIP, but doesn't
work well), that would be great for me.  Also, once or if I'm convinced that
Ooma  works well, I will buy that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ooma
 Anybody here familiar with Ooma?

Cheers,
Elcaset

On Wed, Oct 26, 2011 at 10:26 AM, Aaron Burt <aa...@bavariati.org> wrote:

> (netiquette note: when starting a new discussion, start a new thread kthx)
> On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 08:40:30PM -0700, C W wrote:
> > I was given 2 Cisco Analog Telephone Adapters.  There are both model
> > 186/188.  I'm wondering what I can use them for, & if they use SIP?
>
> Google sez Cisco sez they're SIP.
>
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cata/186_188/2_15/english/administration/guide/sip/SIP88CH1.html
>
> You can use them to attach analog phones (e.g. yer typical cordless phone,
> or even a FAX machine) to an Asterisk server or a VoIP service (such as
> CallCentric.)
>
> If you have a cellphone and don't make or receive international calls from
> home much, you probably don't have much use for one.
>
> Note the international angle: immigrants with internet at home would be
> well served by someone with ATAs or hardphones and some VoIP knowledge.
> Currently, they use cheezy calling cards and by-the-minute cellphones.
>
> The fact that you can get local numbers in major cities around the world
> means that their families could call them back cheaply, too.

Free Geek Seattle- Helping The Needy Get Nerdy
http://www.freegeekseattle.org/
https://groups.google.com/group/freegeek-seattle/topics?hl=en

K Desktop Environment- Experience Freedom & User Friendliness
http://kde.org/

Free Lossless Audio Codec
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Flac

Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at