Try the latest version that is available and also try LibreOffice
(www.*libreoffice*.org) There have been numerous changes made since the
fork to LibreOffice.

FWIW, I regularly use LibreOffice 3.3.4 on my Fedora system to open
received .docx files for my wife and save them in Word97 .doc files so
she can edit them. She has been successful sharing these with
colleagues.  She uses the equation editor, but not the change tracking
features you mention.  I think investigation would be worth your time.

~~R