I think that I've identified the problem with the Sony Vaio not connecting
to my WAP, but I've no idea how to fix it.

   First, I changed the PSK password on the WAP to a five-digit hex number[1]
and rebooted the router after saving the change. Second, I changed the PSK
password in /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf to match. The edited
/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf has the actual password changed here:

# See /usr/doc/wpa_supplicant-0.7.3/wpa_supplicant.conf.sample
# for many more options that you can use in this file.

# This line enables the use of wpa_cli which is used by rc.wireless
# if possible (to check for successful association)
ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
# By default, only root (group 0) may use wpa_cli
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_version=1
ap_scan=1
fast_reauth=1
#country=US

# WPA protected network, supply your own ESSID and WPAPSK here:
network={
   scan_ssid=0
   ssid="AESi"
   proto=WPA RSN
   key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
   pairwise=CCMP TKIP
   group=CCMP TKIP WEP104 WEP40
   psk=1a2b3c4d5e
   priority=10
}

# Plaintext connection (no WPA, no IEEE 802.1X),
# nice for hotel/airport types of WiFi network.
network={
   key_mgmt=NONE
   priority=0
}

   Third, I ran

wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf

and saw the following (password changed from reality):

[root@pachy /etc]# wpa_supplicant -Dwext -iwlan0 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf
Line 22: Invalid PSK '1a2b3c4d5e'.
Line 22: failed to parse psk '1a2b3c4d5e'.
Line 24: WPA-PSK accepted for key management, but no PSK configured.
Line 24: failed to parse network block.
Failed to read or parse configuration '/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf'.

   What is wrong with the PSK that wpa_supplicant fails to parse it because
it consideres it invalid? This must be the problem regardless of what I have
as the PSK.

Thanks,

Rich

[1] Same error with an ASCII character PSK.