On Mon, 02 Jul 2012 10:58:18 -0700
Michael Dexter <dex...@ambidexter.com> dijo:

>Out speaker this week would prefer use a latest 'n' greatest laptop
>with HDMI output. The venue has VGA.
>
>Being a digital to analog conversion, this is non-trivial. See the
>dozen or so $8 cables on Amazon with one star. :(
>
>I have seen smart adapters for about $100.
>
>Has anyone used one?
>
>Can anyone bring one?

If I recall correctly, the projector in the room has an HDMI input. The
electronics in the podium are VGA only, but if you have a long enough
HDMI cable you can just stand on a table and plug it directly into the
back of the projector, bypassing the podium.

This will also give you better resolution, as the podium dumbs
everything down to 1024 x 768.

I don't recall the make and model of the projector, but it was discussed
here a couple years ago when I did my presentation on Scribus.