On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 7:57 AM, James Bertelson <ja...@bertelson.me> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Rich Shepard <rshep...@appl-ecosys.com>wrote:
>
>>    I use a trackball, and did since 1996 when a mouse gave me tendinitis of
>> the right elbow. Accupunture cured that and it's not recurred.
>>
>>    My current trackball is a Logitech optical wireless that allows the
>> middle
>> fingers to work the ball and the thumb to work the left button; it also has
>> a scroll wheel. I _really_ like it. The previous two trackballs were
>> configured to use the thumb on the ball that that is a terrible design; the
>> thumb does not have the fine motor control of the fingers.
>>

> About 3 years ago I started developing discomfort in my mouse wrist as
> well. Rather than actually getting it checked out, I too switched to a
> trackball, and it went away very quickly. I will offer a differing opinion
> on the thumb-control though, I tried both and find my accuracy greater on
> the thumb controlled devices. Give both a shot and see what works.
> Additionally, the modern wireless Logitechs with the mini USB receiver have
> been plug and play on every linux machine I've used them on. Best of luck.

That wrist thing is likely DeQuervain's syndrome
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Quervain_syndrome)
I had/have that.  I switched to the left hand and it went away for a
number of years.  It is back, but I do not use the right hand for the
mouse, so it must be caused/aggravated by other things.

-Denis