Hi Keith,

To summarize my comments regarding Android below, you might want to wait
for ubuntu phone.
http://www.ubuntu.com/devices/phone

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 7:49 PM, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@gate.kl-ic.com>wrote:

> Are Android tablets "programmable enough" to do open source tasks?
> They look like media vending machines to me, not quite walled
> garden like iCrap but focused on entertainment and social media
> rather than constructing work environments with open source tools.
>
> But how do you really feel about iPhone?

> Over a couple of decades, I have slowly learned how to configure
> an X86 Linux machine to do a few work tasks - handling text, ssh,
> tunneling vpn links, writing shell scripts, etc.
>
> The tasks I have in mind are: typing notes for later upload to
> a server, looking at downloaded PDFs and documents.

Ok.

> Bonus points
> if the device can run local copies of Apache and MoinMoin.  When
> wifi or hard wired ethernet(?) is available, surfing the web for
> information, connecting through an openvpn tunnel to a firewalled
> internal LAN, ssh'ing into a server for ascii email, printing
> through CUPS, logging into webapps on the internal LAN.

Ok, except for hard wire ethernet.

> Securely, of course.
>
> And since tablets use Android and non-X86 processors, and
> cross-compiling is too complex for my simple brain, a local
> copy of the GCC toolchain and related libraries, perhaps
> Perl and Python.

Android runs a GUI written and mostly programmed in Java. JVM languages
(JPython is one) can be made to work.  There is a NDK (native development
kit) for GCC but the Linux environment is different.

> In otherwords, recreating most Linux
> laptop/desktop capabilities in the Android environment.

Forget that.

> All FOSS apps, of course.  I'm not much of a programmer and
> rarely tweak code, but routinely look at source to figure
> out how the heck a poorly-documented app works, or what
> files it is looking for or spitting out.

Android is FOSS, the code all available from google.

> I'm a "$5 a month for basic cell phone" guy.  I don't want
> to pay $20 a month (which I think of as $2400 per decade)
> for another wireless service.  So I want to be able to run
> unconnected, connecting when free/cheap wifi is available.

OK

> Is this realistic, or are tablets different enough that I would
> need to spend years (at a few hours a month) re-learning how to
> accomplish these kinds of tasks?  Should I just stick to laptops
> and netbooks?

Once you get over some surprises and become a touchy kind of guy, you could
get a lot of work done, but it too would be different.

Good Luck -- Pat

P.S. I'm not endorsing this but for $90 you could make your own judgments:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/21152158?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015286872&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=&wl3=17436468070&wl4=&wl5=pla&veh=sem

> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993