On Sun, Jun 1, 2014 at 12:03 PM, Mark Phillips <m...@phillipsmarketing.biz>
wrote:

> BTW, I vacuum out my machines every 6 months or so...my house seems to be a
> breeding ground for dust bunnies. I have never had a problem restarting the
> machines. I pay particular attention to cleaning the dust off the fan
> blades and the heat sinks. I am surprised about all the comments against
> cleaning out the dust bunnies inside a computer.

I don't have any comments against cleaning out the inside of a computer - I
just don't recommend using atmospheric air to do it. It's loaded with
static and moisture. Additionally, the plastic used in most vacuum cleaner
hoses tends to collect static, which can then be transmitted to the
components in the computer case.

I suggest using the cans of compressed air you can get at most grocery
stores - they use inert carbon dioxide.

That being said, this isn't the 70s any more and components are designed
better all the time - including increased tolerance for static charges.
That doesn't mean there's no danger any more, just that it's less than
before.

-wes