Question?

Without getting into incompetence, impersonation,
man-in-the-middle, drugs and pipe wrenches ...

I have a friend in another state who I want to give ssh access
to on one of my machines.  If I understand ssh key exchange,

 1) he makes a private/public key pair for openssh
   1a) using a recent Linux, of course
 2) he sends me the public key over the unencrypted internet
 3) I put it in the .ssh/authorized_keys2 in his user directory

... and we are probably good to go, yes?  Not perfect security,
but enough, I hope, to irritate a typical national spy agency.

If necessary, we can escalate the complexity of the transfer,
(key encoded in carrier pigeon DNA - sequence DNA, eat bird)
but complication is insecure in its own way.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com