As a FOSS/Linux nut and a ham, call is KP4DJT, yes I was licensed in
Puerto Rico for those who recognize the prefix, I enjoy anything that mixes
the two. Indeed for many years the best software for amateur radio was on
Linux, this has slipped somewhat, which is sad because the other OS is still
in my opinion the same as a car with the hood welded shut. But the masses
demand it because that is what they all run.

While living in Tampa, I helped keep the local amateur packet radio network
running, all of our switches were Linux based and allowed the use of
multiple
protocols. (Not so for those running something on the other OS) It was fun
times, and I am looking forward to getting back into some of that here. I
live
a bit far north to attend your activities, and also I am a field service
engineer
and most of the time I travel (was in Maui this week) to places well outside
of driving distance to the meetings.

One of the things I am always looking for is ham radio apps for my Android
boxen. As that is what I carry on the road now. I am going to try to get me
something lighter than my X200 so I can go back to carrying a Linux box too.
But I also have to watch the weight, they do not give frequent flyer miles
for
baggage fees... B-[

On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:44 PM, elcaseti . <elcas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Also on the subject of Gnu/Linux and Amateur radio, "Linux in the Ham
> Shack" is a podcast, & they also have an irc channel.
>
> http://lhspodcast.info/
>
> Cheers,
>
> Elcaset
>

> On Fri, Aug 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM, Keith Lofstrom <kei...@gate.kl-ic.com>
> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 08, 2014 at 01:42:05PM -0700, Tyrell Jentink wrote:
> > > While looking at topics that are a fusion between Linux and other
> > > hobbies... I'm a pretty big fan of ham radio, and there are plenty of
> > > projects in ham radio that use Linux; AX.25 Soundmodem Drivers for both
> > > packet and APRS, Broadband-Hamnet (Formerly HSMM-MESH), and
> > > telemetry/telecommand all come to mind as interesting topics that
> > actually
> > > DO relate to Linux, Unix, and Computers in general.
> >
> > Tyrell for next speaker!  I would love to learn about this!
> >
> > Given that the firefox phone project is in Portland, that
> > PersonalTelco makes free wifi goodness for the city, and my
> > own satellite computation delivered by microwaves project(*)
> > the sooner we all get savvy about radio and open source, the
> > sooner we free the pipes that connect our free software.
> >
> > Keith
> >
> > (*) http://server-sky.com
> > --
> > Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com
> >

> --
> Free Geek Seattle- Helping The Needy Get Nerdy
> http://www.freegeekseattle.org/
> https://groups.google.com/group/freegeek-seattle/topics?hl=en

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.