I have spent th past hour trying to make a backup of my Home to an
external device and continue to fail. My Home folder is on a separate
partition, /dev/sdb2.The problem is that I cannot boot to the
installation and must boot to a live media. I have tried Xubuntu
14.04.1 and Knoppix 7.2, both of which will happily mount the devices,
but refuse to allow me to write to them, even when mounted as root and
when I run the cp command as root. I realize the problem is that the
live media OS doesn't own the data, but there must be a way to copy the
data to an external drive. What is the secret?