>I will use control-e, but thinking it through, the problem isn't the
>tool, it is the "here's everything right now" interface, which changes
>with every version.  Gratuitously changing icons and placement may be
>flashy and give the appearance of progress, but it is a nuisance to
>relearn, when there are so many other new things to learn instead.

 This is a very common complaint that I've heard about the GIMP.  I,
personally, have just never been aesthetically inclined enough to be
able to create much with it, or do much more than cutting and pasting
a simple collage, but I've heard this from people who are 'Shooop da
woop' masters.  There also seems to be a bit of an issue with the fact
that the development curve on there seems to stifle a lot of
developers; if anybody is interested I can get more info from the guy
that I was speaking with this about, as I don't recall it off the top
of my head exactly.

>It should be possible to create a "gimp personalizer" front end,
>allowing users to build their own collection of buttons, separate
>from the powerful engine under the hood.  Custom buttons might
>call tools like ImageMagick, browsers to test rendering, and
>other custom code, or even offsite processing as needed.  That way,
>new versions of GIMP can plug into the back of a familiar tool.

  Absolutely.  With the interface horrors that I've heard of so
frequently (which are kind of alien to me-- working UX is something I
simply can't do-- I often joke about just learning to dress myself
without clashing badly around age 35).

>More than should be possible, it's been done.
>http://www.gimpshop.com/

  Now that is some fine news.  I'll pass that on a bit; thank you for
sharing that valuable tidbit.

>Yes, the 5 foot tall Craftsman 60 drawer rolling toolbox is just
>the thing for an auto shop, but difficult to lug out to a job site.
>Making the toolbox 7 feet tall doesn't help, unless there is a
>better way to keep track of the tools.

  That's a pretty damn fine way to put it, I believe.

  -Damon