On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 02:20:36PM -0800, t...@wescottdesign.com wrote:
> Complaining that GIMP is too feature-rich is like complaining that your
> new semi tractor doesn't have enough rear-seat legroom and that damn
> trailer hitch always gets in the way.  GIMP is supposed to be an "and
> the kitchen sink" app.

I will use control-e, but thinking it through, the problem isn't the
tool, it is the "here's everything right now" interface, which changes
with every version.  Gratuitously changing icons and placement may be
flashy and give the appearance of progress, but it is a nuisance to
relearn, when there are so many other new things to learn instead.

It should be possible to create a "gimp personalizer" front end,
allowing users to build their own collection of buttons, separate
from the powerful engine under the hood.  Custom buttons might
call tools like ImageMagick, browsers to test rendering, and
other custom code, or even offsite processing as needed.  That way,
new versions of GIMP can plug into the back of a familiar tool.

Yes, the 5 foot tall Craftsman 60 drawer rolling toolbox is just
the thing for an auto shop, but difficult to lug out to a job site.
Making the toolbox 7 feet tall doesn't help, unless there is a
better way to keep track of the tools.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com