On Tue, 17 Feb 2015, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   Today I upgraded dovecot-2.2.13 to -2.2.15. Went to the dovecot Web sits
> and followed the configuration instructions step-by-step. Added user
> dovenull and all checks appear correct:

> smtp_sasl_type = dovecot
> #smtp_sasl_type = cyrus

   Think I've isolated the problem and have no idea how to fix it.

   dovecot apparently does not work with outgoing mail if that mail has to be
relayed through another server. So, if I have dovecot set to smpt I cannot
send mail, only receive it. Trying to assign dovecot to smtpd in the above
line also causes a fatal error and throttling on outgoing mail.

Rich