OK, I have a boat load of info here, now to try it all and see what works,
if any
one has anymore recommendations I am all ears.

What I want to have visible on the label is the QR code and a brief descrip-
tion of the labeled item along with the P#. The QR code will have the full
des-
cription and the next step will be to capture the info into the parts db so
that
as we use parts off of the vehicles all we have to do is image the QR code
and the part is noted and removed, but first step is to get the labels so
that
I can label the parts.

Thanks folks for all of this great info.

On Sun, May 31, 2015 at 9:39 AM, Galen Seitz <gal...@seitzassoc.com> wrote:

> On 05/30/15 21:33, Chuck Hast wrote:
> > I have been looking for something that will generate QR codes to
> > create labels, I also want to add a short human readable line on
> > the label but so far I have not found a single step Linux solution to
> > do so.  What I want is the QR code and above or below it a short
> > human readable description. I can find windows stuff that will do it
> > and I can find some on line generators, but not sure that they would
> > like it if I did a whole parts inventory.
> >
> > I see some people have used other applications to overlay the QR
> > code onto something with the text or vice versa, but I want something
> > that is reasonably simple to use and runs on Linux so that I can set
> > it up for non-tech types to use.
>

> I agree with Michael R.  It sounds like a job for Imagemagick.  Generate
> the QR png file, then use convert to add the text.
>
> http://www.imagemagick.org/Usage/annotating/>
>

> galen
> --
> Galen Seitz
> gal...@seitzassoc.com

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.