On Thu, 2 Jul 2015, Louis Kowolowski wrote:

> ... is the issue that debian packaged things wrong, getting a lot of people in
> a huff, or something else? Why is this news now?

   To answer the last question, consider what Google and Apple are now doing,
and the business case for the different approach of each:
<http://tinyurl.com/pk2cngv>.

   Guess I'm too old to think that a computer or tech company knowing all
about me and making its own recommendations for my actions is kewel. I find
the idea intrusive and too remenicient of 1984 and Brave New World. Shudder!

Rich