More below

On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 2:03 PM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtm...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 13, 2015 at 10:57 AM, Bill Barry <b...@billbarry.org> wrote:
>>
>> Yes, this shows the system is using grub legacy and I am pretty sure that
>> is what is causing your boot problems. There is a page here
>> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Grub2/Upgrading
>>
>> describing how to upgrade to grub2.
>>
>> Bill
>>
>> Help!  Got through all that, up  through successful chainloading Grub 2.
> Test booted; worked fine.  So then I entered sudo
> upgrade-from-grub-legacy.  Now I am presented with a screen asking what
> devices to install Grub on: /dev/sda and /dev/sda1.  I want to select
> /dev/sda, but I can select neither!  Tab moves the highlight from the [ ]
> in front of each choice, then to OK, but I cannot make a mark in either of
> the [ ] spaces.  Note that the instruction said I would be presented with
> this choice earlier in the upgrade process at step 4, but it was not
> presented.
>
> So, how to safely recover from this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Denis

As I moved from a screen "are you sure you want to select NO drives..."
back to "select drives...", The terminal flashed up briefly.  I had to take
a video to see what it said..."dpkg: warning: version 'dummy-version' has
bad syntax: version number does not start with digit."  During the earlier
stuff there were warnings about virtual box version string having an
invalid character in the version number.

Can I just ^c out of this, or is it already in a bad state?

-Denis