On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 01:56:53PM -0700, Nat Taylor wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Michael Rasmussen <mich...@jamhome.us>
> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 08:16:39AM -0700, Nat Taylor wrote:
> > > I've been using Arch Linux with the cinnamon desktop.  Works great once
> > you
> > > get it installed.  I used the guide in Linux Voice magazine.  I suggest
> > > reading some of those magazines, and taking a look at distrowatch.com .
> > > As mostly a user now I find Linux Mint (LTS versions) with the Mate
> > > desktop manager works great.  For servers I've started moving to Debian.
> >
> > My terse reply of "Not Arch" was made before seeing this message.
> >
> > The OP wrote "isn't cutting edge." I don't know of a distribution that is
> > less
> > cutting edge than Arch. How they manage to keep it organized and well
> > functioning
> > is a mystery. But they do. And I get the very current versions of the photo
> > and video editors that drew me to it.
> >
> > But if you're not looking for that level of upstream tracking, stay away.
> >
> > OK, pacman is also a very excellent package manager.
> >

> Looks like it's been 3 years since I installed Arch on this box, never had
> a problem with an upgrade,
> although it looks like there are only 12 packages i've installed from the
> AUR, all but three of them done
> by hand (did just install yaourt recently for a more automated process)
>
> I guess it is cutting edge though, I figured it was right up there with
> slackware for ease of installation,
> and learning about linux while you install.  It's always been stable for me.
>
> I think I started with mandrake 5 and debian woody, moved to ubuntu for a
> while, then deserted and hopped distros for a while before landing on Mint
> then Arch

Everything you say agrees completely with my experience. As an added point my
last distro before Arch was Kubuntu LTS and it was a much bigger PTIA to
maintain.

My response was based on the OP's stated preferences. No matter how good Arch
is it's
not a match for his described target.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon