On 08/29/15 17:33, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 11:16 AM, Galen Seitz <gal...@seitzassoc.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/28/15 08:20, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>>> I needed to use the floppy disk on my ubuntu 14.04 system (why is a
>>> separate story).  I found that the default setup had the floppy owned by
>>> root. Even when I made myself a member of the group floppy, I did not
>> have
>>> write access. It appeared as if the drive was not a member of the group
>>> floppy.
>>>
>>> On searching for a solution I came across a change to /etc/fstab which
>>> solved the problem.  My question is, I would like to understand what
>> these
>>> changes do and what the entries mean, and make sure that the changes do
>> not
>>> have any flaws. Could the dropping of the utf8 option produce a problem?
>>>
>>> Original entry (as provided by the installation):
>>> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy0  auto   rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8  0     0
>>>
>>> New entry:
>>> /dev/fd0   /media/floppy   auto
>> rw,user,noauto,exec,gid=floppy,umask=007 0
>>>  0
>>
>> Do you really need to mount the floppy?  For occasional use, it's often
>> easier to use mtools.
>>
>> <http://www.gnu.org/software/mtools/>
>> <https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/+package/mtools>
>>

>> galen
>

> Since Ubuntu supports the floppy though the GUI, and I now have user rights
> to it, I do not see the advantage of mtools.  I only use it to transfer
> files to and from an ancient windows 3.1 system a former colleague and I
> are trying to resurrect.  I suppose if I wanted to do something less
> routine with the floppy, I would benefit from mtools.

Well, to my mind, commands like mdir and mcopy are about as routine as
it gets, but if you're keen to use the GUI, then mtools won't be of much
use.  I will point out that not mounting a floppy has at least the one
advantage that you avoid the possibility of corrupting the floppy by
ejecting it when it is mounted.

galen
--
Galen Seitz