On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 09:41:58AM -0800, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
> This a SATA hard drive dock which mounts in an ATX case.  It is a Kingwin
> KF-1000 BK.  When I get a blank panel to fill the hole I will take it out
> and look it over.  I am surprised that there is anything to go wrong inside
> except connectors.

I use a lot of those, but they are cheaply made.  Connectors
have limited lifetimes, because the copper diffuses into the
thin gold plating on it.  Then the copper oxidizes, making
insulating spots, and making the surface much less compliant,
with less contact area.

You can clean the contact a couple of times with a pencil
eraser, but if the gold is thin (on the Kingwin docks, it
may be just a few atoms thick), and it will get worn away.

It would be nice to find a more expensive drive dock with
thicker gold plating.  It would also be nice if test labs
would measure this stuff and publish results in something
like what Consumer Reports used to be, before they devolved
into knob counting and political opinions.

Keith

--
Keith Lofstrom          kei...@keithl.com