On 11/28/2015 10:19 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> I wish to print a list of directories (but not the files or
> subdirectories contained in the directories) on Xubuntu 12.04 (up to
> date). I normally use the GUI file manager Thunar, but it has no menu
> item to print anything. There is, however, Edit > Configure custom
> actions, which appears to require me to use xfprint with specific
> options, but I haven't found much information about using xfprint.
>
> I suspect this might be easier from the command line, but I don't know
> where to start looking for the right tool. That is, I have used lpr in
> the past and I have a fair idea of what the available options are, but
> lpr seems to be useful only for printing the contents of a file, not
> for printing a list of folders.
>
> Suggestions?

ls is the command line tool. There are, as usual, many options to use
with ls. (See man ls.) When I need to do something like this, which is
rare, I use ls -1 to get everything in the directory listed one item per
line, and redirect it into a text file. Then I can edit the text file to
remove what I don't want, or just print it.

Example:

$ ls -1 > list.txt

--
Regards,