John,
Here is something that might get you what you want
Say you want to list all directories under directory foo
    find foo -type d
this just print the names of the directories
If you want something similar to what 'ls -l' would say,
find foo -type d -ls
The out of this is like the following

97914840    4 drwxr-xr-x   2 steved   steved       4096 Nov 30 23:45 foo

with find you can't customize the output.
ls allows you more choices about what to display but would be hard to
just do directories.
find foo -type d -exec ls -ld  {} \;
would give you just the directories, using the ls long format.

You could just pipe the output into lpr, or redirect output to a file
and then print it.

steve