On 12/29/2015 12:15 PM, Russell Senior wrote:

> John> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 00:06:29 -0800 Russell Senior
> John> <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

> johnxj> The computer is otherwise running fine. From past experience the
> johnxj> only way I know to fix this problem is to reboot the
> johnxj> computer. Please don't tell me I must always reboot the computer
> johnxj> in order to change an optical medium. :(
>>>
> johnxj> Edit: Now I can't even mount a USB drive. It is at least
> johnxj> recognized, but attempts to mount it result in:
>>>
> johnxj> "Error creating mount point `/media/jjj/128GB': Read-only file
> johnxj> system."
>>>
>>> Remove the USB and optical media and in a terminal, run:
>>>
>>> mount
>
> Okay, now plug your USB thingie and run the plain "mount" command again
> and look for differences.  Likewise, your optical disk.

It also looks like the error is saying that /media/jjj is read-only at
this point, and unless I'm reading the mount output from the previous
email correctly, this would be /dev/sdb1. If this is the case, there may
be errors on that partition and the filesystem was remounted read only.

What happens if you manually execute "mkdir /media/jjj/test" or "mkdir
/tmp/test"?

The only way that I know to clear a read only filesystem is to remount
it (if permitted), or to reboot with a manual fsck on the problem partition.

dafr