On 12/30/2015 09:39 AM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Dec 2015 22:16:42 -0800
> Russell Senior <russ...@personaltelco.net> dijo:

>> John> However, at this point the optical drive won't mount anything. I
>> John> tried half a dozen different DVDs, the light on the drive flashes
>> John> briefly, then stops. The mount command does not see it, nor is
>> John> there anything in the GUI file manager.
>>
>> John> Now I'm worried that there might be a hardware failure.
>>
>> The other thing that is interesting is the last bit of the output from
>> dmesg.  Something like:
>
> I had been running dmesg |tail without the number, so it displayed only
> the last half dozen lines or so. I never saw anything untoward.
> However, just now I tried it again and, as before, there was nothing
> relating to disks except the very last line:
>
> [304047.428979] VFS: busy inodes on changed media or resized disk sr0
>
> Back when it was mounting media (even though it failed to remove the
> mount point) I never saw this line.
>
> So now I'm beginning to think it is not a hardware failure. But I
> need someone to translate the above line into English.

The device /dev/sr0 is typically the first CD/DVD device found by the
operating system (and /dev/sr1 would be the second). All it's saying
(loosely) is that the device wasn't cleanly closed before eject and an
inode is still being "accessed" even if no available any longer by some
process.

This is why you can't mount anything new at this point with the device
still being "busy", according to the kernel.

dafr