Everyone,

After some deliberation I've decided to build my own *laptop* in the new
year and install Linux on a virgin HD. I did have some questions:

#1: My eyesight is... "OK" but increasingly I'm having to forgo even
wearing computer glasses because of eyestrain. I'm currently using
a converted ASUS laptop @ 15" diagonal screen. Resolution on the screen is
just as important to reduce eyestrain as size is. And refresh
rate too.

#2: I will probably install Ubuntu unity14.04 from a flash drive. I haven't
had the time to check if 15.10 is fully beta tested yet. But in the
future I wanted to look into CentOS or KDE as my skills improve.

#3: In the somewhat near future, as time allows, I'd like to start teaching
myself Python, Unix (I do have a long white beard..) and other
languages through the Coding Guild, Code Oregon, & www.edx.org I already
study Linux 101 at edx.org and with my irregular work days and
hours the "study at home, at your own speed" format works well. I don't
know what inherent power the machine would need for programing.

#4: The motherboard/CPU/GPU/Ram/BIOS : I don't know if any CPU or GPU would
be inherently more secure than another but security
is in mind. I haven't played a game on a computer in decades so I don't
need a super fast GPU but I don't know if I'd need it for programing.
I will also see about setting up a VPN in the coming weeks.

It will also need Internet/Ethernet/wireless capabilities.

I haven't decided on the size of the Hard Drive. I don't store large video
or photo files so, 500 GB, 1 TB I think would be plenty.

All of the components need to work together. There is just no reason to
drop top money on 64g of ram that the CPU can't really take.
I don't know how to over clock a CPU and don't care to learn.

#5: Cost: I can spend $1,000-1,400 in total. I do have an account at Best
buy but not newegg. So I can even order parts on line or  take
some cash to ENU. All of the parts need to be compatible: You'll not see me
beating a CPU in place with a hammer because the pin sets
are incompatible ( strike up the Three Stooges music).
*Manufactures names and part numbers are invaluable so that I can search on
line*.

#6: If there is anything I've forgotten please let me know.

Blessings,
Paul W.