For the purposes of safety, security and anonymity I was thinking of
going to a VPN (I've already heard that ToR was hacked).
Currently I'm on Ubuntu Unity 14.04 LTS. It was a bit of a headache to set
up but seems to be working now and I have a firewall up.
I know that using Linux/Unix/CentOS/etc. flags me to the NSA/FBI anyway
(I'm old enough to remember the NSA line code in a
Windows version) but I want to raise the bar to anyone curious, packet
sniffers, amateurs, etc. go elsewhere. I actually have my wireless router
on a power strip so that I can power it on/off as needed and, randomly, to
confuse and/or frustrate anyone trying to hack or use my router
as well.

   Any ideas on VPN would be appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, and I'm by no means an expert on the subject, the
closest thing I know of to a "Internet VPN" is I2P.  https://geti2p.net/en/

At the Operating System level, Tails is far and away the most secure OS I know
of. But don't just take my word for it, Mr. Snow... can personally attest to it
too. https://tails.boum.org/

And of course there's PGP for email or email service such as riseup.net.
Duckduckgo instead of Google.

But then of course, there's cell phones, social media, Library, paper mail,
credit cards, permanent physical address, social security #, gov't ID.
Corporations probably have as much or more personal info on you than any of the
3 letter gov't agencies.

I wish I could recall the talk I saw on Youtube at Google with one of the key
Internet founders/inventors who talked about a P2P decentralized Internet as in
no centralized sites/databases. A very fascinating that I hope becomes reality
some day, soon...

Cheers!,

--Mike