On Fri, 08 Jul 2016 23:55:16 -0700
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.li...@gmail.com> dijo:

>if you add rsync --delete option then rsync will delete remote files
>as you describe. For the safety of your files, maybe you should
>consider enabling snapshots or do some safeguarding with your mirror
>scripts.
>
>It would be unfortunate to loose all the NAS backup files just because
>you accidentally deleted your USB drive or forgot to mount it or
>something ....

I intend to make a script to run at 2am daily. To guard against losing
the backup the script will first make sure that both source and
destination are mounted. I haven't figured out yet how to do that, but
it's in my plans. In the meantime I'm just running rsync manually.

And that brings up my immediate problem. Bear in mind that I want the
destination to be a mirror of the source, hence my need for the
--delete option. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be working. Here is
my current command:

        rsync -rptog --delete /media/jjj/Movies/* /media/jjj/Synology

The command executes fine, except that the --delete doesn't happen:

        rsync -rptog --delete /media/jjj/Movies/* /media/jjj/Synology
        (13) IO error encountered -- skipping file deletion
        rsync error: some files/attrs were not transferred (see previous
                errors) (code 23) at main.c(1183) [sender=3.1.0]

I've spent a couple hours googling on this and haven't come up with an
explanation. Can someone enlighten me?