These are not burning questions but arise out of curiosity.

   My virtual terminals use urxvt and correctly display UTF-8 text encoding
as demonstrated by viewing the UTF-8-demo.txt file. My MUA is alpine and
invoked in a urxvt terminal. But, not all foreign languages are displayed;
for example, Hebrew is seen as a series of question marks. This is one
question I'd like to have answered, if possible.

   The second question probably relates to how alpine is configured. Or maybe
not. When I compose an e-mail message the v.t. changes from urxvt to xterm.
Might this have something to do with my specifying 'joe' as the text editor
rather than 'nano'? This is another issue that's not critical but a matter
of curiosity whether it can be explained.

   Alpine is configured to display UTF-8 text and to use /usr/bin/joe as the
editor. If there are options that address the above two questions then I
missed them.

TIA,

Rich