On Wed, Oct 05, 2016 at 01:31:30PM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Starting a script to run in the background is simple: append '&' to the
> command line. When the script runs for a few hours and I forget to start it
> in the background (as I did today) I'd like to pause it (using ctrl-z) and
> continue running it in the background.
>
>    My web searches show how to start scripts running in the background and
> how to pause them prior to bring them back to the foreground, but I missed
> seeing a solution to pausing then continuing processing in the background.
>
>    Seems to me that I should be able to pause the running script (PID: 10952
> pts/0 S+ 0:00 sleep 15) or whatever the PID is when I pause the script, then
> run bg 10952 to re-start it in background mode. Is this correct?

Hmmm, how can we test this?

    michael@bivy ~/testme % vi script.sh
    michael@bivy ~/testme % cat script.sh
    #!/bin/bash

    for R in `seq 1 10000`
    do
        echo `date` >> output
        sleep 2
    done

    michael@bivy ~/testme % ./script.sh
    ^Z
    [1]  + 28285 suspended  ./script.sh
    148 michael@bivy ~/testme % bg
    [1]  + 28285 continued  ./script.sh
    michael@bivy ~/testme % ls -l
    total 8
    -rw-r--r-- 1 michael michael 140 Oct  5 13:44 output
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 michael michael  82 Oct  5 13:43 script.sh
    michael@bivy ~/testme % ls -l
    total 8
    -rw-r--r-- 1 michael michael 196 Oct  5 13:44 output
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 michael michael  82 Oct  5 13:43 script.sh

OH, output is getting larger. Script must be running.

Yes, that's how it works.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity