On Wed, 5 Oct 2016 13:31:30 -0700 (PDT), in message
alpine.LNX.2.11.1610051324060.6157@localhost, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Seems to me that I should be able to pause the running script
> (PID: 10952 pts/0 S+ 0:00 sleep 15) or whatever the PID is when I
> pause the script, then run bg 10952 to re-start it in background
> mode. Is this correct?

Rich,

You don't need anything so baroque.  You should be able to list
the running jobs with "jobs".  E.g., if I start jackd-start.sh and
forget to put it in the background, I can stop it with <ctrl-z>,
as you've pointed out.  This will produce the following output:

$ jackd-start.sh
^Z
[1]+  Stopped                 jackd-start.sh

Note the number in the brackets.  This is the job number.  To put
the job in the background, simply type "bg %1", which will respond
with:

[1]+ jackd-start.sh &

and lo! your job is in the background.  (I use this more than I'd
like to admit.)

You may want to look up "job control" in the bash Info manual.  The
bash man page is too painful to use.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"We have the Shoe Factory, and the Brick Works, and the wonderful
Insane Asylum we're all mighty proud of.  But the heart of the