Rich,
If you are using gnome, part of it's startup includes creating a
ssh-agent for you, and the first time you try to ssh elsewhere it
prompts you to unlock the  agent.

There is a program out there called keychain (search for 'linux keychain
ssh-agent') which wouks well in non gnome environments. A quick search
found a gentoo article
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Keychain
that appears to walk thru the setup using keychain.  If you do a lot of
access to different systems, keychain will deligate authentication
requests back to your initial login system, prevent duplication, etc. It
has lots of controls you can configure and configuration ends up being
done by adding a few lines to your .bashrc or  .zshrc file.  You end up
typing a password on first login, and all the ssh logins then just
forward the agent requests back to that system.

The above two schemes make the agent's lifetime tied to your login on
the first machine.  When you logout all the agents are gone. It's
possible to lauch a agent that stays around in the background, that
would then be active as long as the machine doesn't reboot. That's not
as secure.  But even there, the agent needs to be launched by you, not
root, so normally that would mean launching it the first time you log in
(from your .bashrc).

steve