On 11/20/2016 6:16 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> I use fat16 and fat32 formatted USB flash drives for _EXACTLY_
> *ONE* purpose.
> It is to transfer data to/from a Windows machine.
>
> When I plug one into my Debian machine I want totally unfettered
> read/write access.
> [when logged in as root or *ANY* user ID]
>
> /etc/fstab wants a specific label, UUID, or /dev/sdX.
> What I could find about pmount.allow did not address issue.
> After all FAT filesystems do not have concept of ownership.
> Help please.

Just now, using the "Places" entry on MATE's menu bar I was able to:
  1. mount the specific flash drive that triggered this 'plaint.
  2. edit the *SPECIFIC* text file that Pluma would only open as
"READ ONLY".
     That had been "straw that broke the camel's back".

This has me wondering if the objectionable reaction was *before*
OR *after* having run
      gsettings set org.mate.media-handling automount false

For another project, I was already intending to create a custom
preseed.cfg .
That will allow me to do _functionally_ identical installs [only
physical difference being the target partition of the
installation procedure].

Is there a standard log file that will record *ALL* operator
"GUI" *OR* "command line" actions *AND* the system's response?

I've the time but am short on test procedure design skills.