On 11/22/2016 6:41 PM, Larry Brigman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 12:31 PM, Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net>
> wrote:

>> Is there a standard log file that will record *ALL* operator
>> "GUI" *OR* "command line" actions *AND* the system's response?
>>
>> I've the time but am short on test procedure design skills.
>>

> The closest thing to your request that is standard would be enabling
> auditd on your system.
> It won't capture the responses but will capture the command line operations.

https://packages.debian.org/jessie/auditd pointed to
    http://people.redhat.com/sgrubb/audit/
That link led in many directions. As its motivation is logging
for security concerns such as intrusion detection, it is
overkill. I'm still looking for appropriate introductory
material. One blog under the heading "Auditing goals" lists one
as "Record commands used by individual users". Its example was
not relevant but did demonstrate my goal is reasonable.

The little I've read so far gives hints of how to better define
my goals.
First I need a cup of coffee ;/

> To capture both command line and responses you will need a recorder of some
> type.  The simplest that is included by default is script.  That normally
> requires an invocation on the command line but I guess it could be started
>  from a login.

I've used script. It's not a good fit.

> Something I learned from a conference.  The Chicago Mercitile Exchange
> requires everyone working on production machines to login through a set of
> bastion host machines.  These
> are the only ones that can reach the production machines.  They are
> configured to run 'screen' to capture everyone session.  This is only for
> ssh access though.

My universe consists of a single laptop intentionally isolated
from any network.

Thank you.