On 1/14/2017 3:58 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jan 2017, Michael Barnes wrote:
>
>> What you want is known as a crossover cable. Technically, it is an
>> ethernet cable wired as T568A on one end and T568B on the other. Most
>> anyplace that carries computer stuff should have one. (Not counting
>> Walmart, Fred Meyer, etc.) If you have the ability/desire to make your
>> own, a Google search for "crossover cable" will yield a plethora of
>> diagrams and instructions. You will need to configure your devices for
>> static IP addresses in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2.
>> You will then need appropriate file sharing configurations that will work
>> cross platform.
>
>     Just to confuse Richard more, he can copy files from one system to a USB
> flash drive or esternal hard drive, then copy from that external medium to
> the second system. The modern sneaker net. Guaranteed to work. :-)

*ROFL* [I.E. the Richter 279 event just occurred in S.W. MO ;]
My phraseology of original post was intended to preclude any
mention of WiFi &/or USB anything.
The antique at this keyboard hails from days when both 20 and 40
mA current loops were used when environment to noisy for RS232C.

Actually, Michael 's reply did provide one piece of needed
information. I had forgotten what were the typical IP addresses used.
Referring to man pages and related tutorials re ifconfig was
premature. One of the reasons I was avoiding WiFi is too many
details are handled silently for one to learn anything.

As to "You will then need appropriate file sharing configurations
that will work cross platform." That was one of the reasons I
wasn't going to object to WinXP unilaterly declaring itself Host.
I was expecting "reasonable" error messages that would trigger
the response "Knew I should have ...".